History of the Museum of farmers’ culture
The Museum of farmers’ culture (Museo della Civiltà Contadina) was founded by Edmondo Perrone (1905 – 1992) on 15 August 1967, when he started to gather items and farming tools in the ancient medieval tower of Lupoli Manor.
It were the striking changes of those days, above all the transformation of the agricultural economy into an industrial one, the migration of the rural population to the urban areas, the change in cultivation techniques (traditionally based on animal work-force) and the change from a post-feudal management form (the mezzadria) to capitalist management of agriculture, that pushed Edmondo Perrone to establish the museum, in order not to disperse an agricultural heritage which was destined to be superseded shortly thereafter.
In 1988, the town of Crispiano (TA) decided to enhance the cultural heritage of the Masserie farms located in its surroundings, amongst which also Lupoli Manor, through the exposition "The 100 farmhouses of Crispiano".
Since then, the Museum of farmers’ culture at the Lupoli Manor is managed by Luigi Perrone (son of Edmondo and current owner of the manor), who, in occasion of the exposition, has arranged a more innovative and logical storage for the items gathered by his father.
The exhibits continue to increase but the Perrone’s guideline and prerogatives remain the same: the conservation and registration of each and every item that is gathered from nearly all over the estate.